Which fundamental data provider do you use?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi ValueBuddies,

I would like to know whether you guys have any good recommendation for a fundamental data provider. Currently, I am using ShareInvestor. However, they have been raising prices for the past few years. I am wondering if there is any other alternative.

Does anyone here has any recommendation and experience to share on investment tools? Anyone using the more advanced Bloomberg terminals?

I am aware that some gurus (Warren Buffett and even right here in this forum) are not using any such tools. But, I do believe they help in raising productivity.
------------------------------------
Trust yourself only with your money
Hi hyom,
Speaking for myself, I basically work on microsoft excel & do all the number crunching after I've downloaded all the annual reports. After much practice, I am able to churn out financial statement by 30 minutes or so.

There is an advanced bloomberg terminal in national library but they sealed off the usb port & you can't really export any information into your excel (no reason understanding why they did that)

I have the trial account for ShareInvestor. Using it just to know company info. Is it worth paying for the basic account?
Hi dzwm87,

Quote:Speaking for myself, I basically work on microsoft excel & do all the number crunching after I've downloaded all the annual reports. After much practice, I am able to churn out financial statement by 30 minutes or so.

I am sure you could do that. You wrote a good report on OKP some time ago.
http://www.valuebuddies.com/attachment.php?aid=158

What sort of company info are you looking for? Although I am satisfied with Shareinvestor, they have been raising their prices for the past few years. Besides, I do not use all their features, so I do mind the rising price because I do not really enjoy the new features.
(14-11-2011, 07:52 PM)dzwm87 Wrote: There is an advanced bloomberg terminal in national library but they sealed off the usb port & you can't really export any information into your excel (no reason understanding why they did that)

May I know which national library has this terminal? Thanks!
Visit my personal investing blog at http://financiallyfreenow.wordpress.com now!
(14-11-2011, 08:28 PM)hyom Wrote: Hi dzwm87,

Quote:Speaking for myself, I basically work on microsoft excel & do all the number crunching after I've downloaded all the annual reports. After much practice, I am able to churn out financial statement by 30 minutes or so.

I am sure you could do that. You wrote a good report on OKP some time ago.
http://www.valuebuddies.com/attachment.php?aid=158

What sort of company info are you looking for? Although I am satisfied with Shareinvestor, they have been raising their prices for the past few years. Besides, I do not use all their features, so I do mind the rising price because I do not really enjoy the new features.

Don't mention that. Everybody else can get that through practice Smile

I am mainly looking for simple stock screener. Does ShareInvestor allows stock screening? Is their forum as good as ValueBuddies? I think essentially what's important is hearing the opinion of other fellow investors. Churning out ratios & financial numbers is easy but sometimes, an individual investor may miss out "blind spots" which only other investors can spot it.

(14-11-2011, 08:44 PM)FFNow Wrote:
(14-11-2011, 07:52 PM)dzwm87 Wrote: There is an advanced bloomberg terminal in national library but they sealed off the usb port & you can't really export any information into your excel (no reason understanding why they did that)

May I know which national library has this terminal? Thanks!

Singapore national library at Bugis Smile The business level (think it's 7 if I remember correctly)
Quote:Is their forum as good as ValueBuddies?

I think ValueBuddies is better. I don't post over at Shareinvestor at all. You don't learn much from meaningless one-liners like "Cheong ah". Maybe there are really good forummers at SI but I don't visit there much because I do not get a good experience on the few occasions when I go there.

Valuebuddies is a good forum. People post thoughtfully. Some even take time to write long answers free of charge. In the old days when d.o.g was less busy before he became a fund manager, you get really insightful answers. (Don't mean to imply that forummers of today are lousy but d.o.g. is really good comparatively if you had been around in the old days)

Other good members include Musicwhiz, yeokiwi, kazukirai etc. Sorry if I left some out, particularly those who comment on specific stocks because I seldom click on posts regarding specific stocks.

haha yeah those stupid forums with the multiple "cheong ah".. that's the problem with technical. end of the day, when you remove the money (won/lost) from the picture, technical analyst knows only blind charts

Okay, then I guess I won't be subscribing to ShareInvestor.
Hi all,

For starters, I always use DBS Vickers' numbers. From 'Quote and Research', then search for the company you're looking for and you can view the Balance Sheet, Income Statement and Cashflow Statement for multiple years (only as far back as 1999 from what I've observed) in annual or quarterly format. Caveat: Data is provided by Thomson Reuters to DBS, Data may not be accurate (I alerted DBS to a discrepancy in the data once) and may not be in the line format presented in the actual Annual Report.

Anyway, after going through the DBS data, I'll go download the Annual Reports if there's a particular company that seems interesting. Just to read through the Chairman's statement, Op review and any 'interesting' line statements in the Financial Statements.

I also use Yahoo Finance SG for charts and historical prices.

Lately, I've been trying to play around with the bloomberg terminal in the National Library for screening purposes. Anyone know if I can backtest screens on Bloomberg? Or at least see what the screens would have pulled out historically?
(15-11-2011, 09:18 AM)kazukirai Wrote: Hi all,

For starters, I always use DBS Vickers' numbers. From 'Quote and Research', then search for the company you're looking for and you can view the Balance Sheet, Income Statement and Cashflow Statement for multiple years (only as far back as 1999 from what I've observed) in annual or quarterly format. Caveat: Data is provided by Thomson Reuters to DBS, Data may not be accurate (I alerted DBS to a discrepancy in the data once) and may not be in the line format presented in the actual Annual Report.

Anyway, after going through the DBS data, I'll go download the Annual Reports if there's a particular company that seems interesting. Just to read through the Chairman's statement, Op review and any 'interesting' line statements in the Financial Statements.

I also use Yahoo Finance SG for charts and historical prices.

Lately, I've been trying to play around with the bloomberg terminal in the National Library for screening purposes. Anyone know if I can backtest screens on Bloomberg? Or at least see what the screens would have pulled out historically?

Do you need to subscribe to use DBS Vickers' Numbers?

What do you mean by pulling out screen historically? If you're trying to test out the effectiveness of stock screening, I don't think it's possible using the Bloomberg terminal. Maybe you can try out with the filters there.
I mainly stick to free resources from internet, these are the 2 i found, occasionally visit the sites.

1. Remisier research

This one i used it to gain more in depth knowledge about their business. Normally i ignore the buy sell calls or their analysis, and look into what the analyst has to say about the business. Since those analysts visited the company and have access to the management.

So sometimes i can get to know what exactly the company is doing, how well they are doing, and the business development, by reading those.

http://remisiers.org/index.php?option=co...&Itemid=16

2. Share junction

Not exactly useful and lack of business info, but it is free Big Grin Sometimes look into the forum see anyone has anything to say for the stock. Just in case i mislook some factors.

And there is a little technical info, there is 2 columns tell whether the stock is overbought or oversold. Sometimes i take a look when about to enter a bid for the stock :p Although i don't strictly follow the indicator.

http://www.sharejunction.com/sharejunction/index.html

Anyone has any other stock research website to share?