Myanmar's Tourism Destination Dreams Fade Amid Empty Hotels

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Myanmar's Tourism Destination Dreams Fade Amid Empty Hotels

by Philip Heijmans

With its sweeping view of the Shwedagon Pagoda, a glittering golden stupa and Myanmar’s top cultural attraction, the Esperado Lake View Hotel should be in an enviable spot. Yet, just two years after it was built, this four-star hotel sits half-empty for many months at a time, according to manager Nero Kyaw Wai. “We aren’t seeing the demand in Myanmar,” he said.

When the country opened to the outside world in 2011 after decades of military rule, the former British colony held promise as one of the world’s hottest tourist destinations, a last frontier for adventure travel. With its lush landscapes and ancient temples, government planners hoped tourism would become a big part of the development equation, just as it has been for neighboring Thailand.

But it hasn’t worked out that way. A construction glut has flooded Myanmar with unused hotel rooms, and poorly regulated building has damaged national treasures like the archaeological site of Bagan and scenic Inle Lake, which is becoming clogged with silt and garbage.

“It’s a massive challenge for the country to develop such a complex sector where they have no experience,” said Paul Rogers, a tourism consultant and adviser to the Myanmar government.

More details in https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/...pty-hotels
Specuvestor: Asset - Business - Structure.
Rainbow 
I had completed one cycle of Myanmar's play following the guru... 
in search of holy grail.

Result is +ve but the lesson learn is not (to me).

Why Myanmar?
Oldman wrote the best book (I felt) on trading/investing in Singapore stock market.

I compared first edition and his 2nd edition and very minor changes.

In 2nd edition (based on my memory), he change his story and encourage reader to take a closer look at SEA emerging market.

And of course, Myanmar fell under this category.

Why Yoma?
As part of our life in searching for holy grail, I always felt that following the guru is worth trying.

d.o.g. mentions that Hugh is not too shabby and I decided to take a closer look at him.

Strategy looks quite decent and boy, he is very famous too.

I spend a few years (literally aka every Saturday in NP library), tracking and tracing Aberdeen buy and sell patterns.

I extract from funds reports and track all increase and decrease of each stocks
... buying and selling trends.

One particular stocks stands out
... yoma... 100% buy and hold with zero selling track record.

Buying
From my trading records, multiple purchases was done in Q2 - Q4'15 (0.37 - 0.47)

Very patient operation under the cover of pessimistic environment.

The purchase stopped when I had accumulated enough during a sharp down and then equally sharp renounced.

Good size and then the rest is just boring waiting game again.

Changes that shake my belief
From my records, Hugh sold Yoma on 5th Aug 2016.

Officially, I declared that I have to start to search for another holy grail.

Next is to look at opportunities to diverse.

Sold
Valuebuddies probably knows that I double up on MM in early 2017 (this year).
That's a good enough reason to exchange to something that I deeply in love.
I need to raise a lot of $$$ in a short time because I sense that with heartlandboy's initiation report,
there will be a lot more awareness of MM and pushing up the price to 3 or 4X.
It's really a knee-jack reaction. HeartLandBoy, you're really.... 
Anyway, I hope that I had made a right decision this time.

I'm all out of faith
This is how I feel
I'm cold and I am shamed
Lying naked on the floor

Illusion never changed
Into something real
I'm wide awake and I can see
The perfect sky is torn
You're a little late, I'm already torn, torn
感恩 26 April 2019 Straco AGM ppt  https://valuebuddies.com/thread-2915-pos...#pid152450