Are you holding cash or making investment into progressing sector in 2016?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
are you holding cash or making investment into progressing sector in 2016?

really don't know what to invest now.haha
If u have cash, then hold it first, sg economy going down.... wait for sg gov's simulates package... Big Grin
If u already all in, maybe take profits off the table first...

just my tots, i am not a qualified financial advisor sir!... Tongue
1) Try NOT to LOSE money!
2) Do NOT SELL in BEAR, BUY-BUY-BUY! invest in managements/companies that does the same!
3) CASH in hand is KING in BEAR! 
4) In BULL, SELL-SELL-SELL! 
plenty of cheap things to buy at the moment. go click on the many threads on different companies here and have a good read of VBs analysis you will get many ideas.

Depending on your strategy, VALUE / GROWTH / INCOME/etc...., you will have to decide how much of your portfolio to keep in cash. 

Overall the STI is only 20%+ corrected from last year's peak of 3500+, we are also due soon for the usual 8-10 yr cycle of another stock crash (USA markets are at the peak now),  so IMHO one should have sufficient cash to buy in as the market goes down.

If your experience with stock investment and analysis is not much, best advice as usual is to just buy the index, and just buy in at regular intervals.

One other option is just wait till SINGTEL is trading below $3 then start buying in with all the cash you have and keep forever Big Grin.

welcome to our forum!!
Virtual currencies are worth virtually nothing.
http://thebluefund.blogspot.com
dun think market will crash though, nowsdays too well connected.... more of a slow decline down to a lower norm....
just a guess that STI 2300 end of 2016 is possible unless gov steps in with mega-projects again... just a guess! Tongue
2) Do NOT SELL in BEAR, BUY-BUY-BUY! invest in managements/companies that does the same!
Like what BlueKelah said, take a look at the various stocks you have previously shortlisted to see if they are discounted as compared to your calculated intrinsic value. If yes, now is a good time to purchase some while saving some money to purchase more if the stock gets corrected further. If there are none, just park your money aside and wait for the right time.

Quote from Warren Buffett: The stock market is a no-called-strike game. You don’t have to swing at everything–you can wait for your pitch.
(12-05-2016, 08:47 AM)brattzz Wrote: dun think market will crash though, nowsdays too well connected.... more of a slow decline down to a lower norm....
just a guess that STI 2300 end of 2016 is possible unless gov steps in with mega-projects again... just a guess! Tongue

Too well connected can also mean easy to crash all together. 

Any crisis will knock another 500 -600 points of the STI easily. 

Without stimulus in USA, Japan and Europe , which have been done and shown not to work except inflate asset bubbles and now only China doing one man show with the tap still on, its not gonna sustain too long. Most importantly IMHO are the corporate earnings which have been in downtrend since beginning last year as the last of FED QE3 effect ran out. This also happened in 2007 where corporate earnings had a downturn for almost 2 years before the GFC hit (see the pattern?).

I do wonder what other mega project can be done locally, the resorts have been done, Changi terminal 4 is underway, only thing left is the high speed rail for Jurong area???
Virtual currencies are worth virtually nothing.
http://thebluefund.blogspot.com
(12-05-2016, 09:50 AM)BlueKelah Wrote:
(12-05-2016, 08:47 AM)brattzz Wrote: dun think market will crash though, nowsdays too well connected.... more of a slow decline down to a lower norm....

I do wonder what other mega project can be done locally, the resorts have been done, Changi terminal 4 is underway, only thing left is the high speed rail for Jurong area???

Perhaps more hospitals, nursing homes and healthcare facilities?
My Personal Financial Blog (Getting $1.4k per month in dividends)
(11-05-2016, 02:50 PM)Baldric Wrote: are you holding cash or making investment into progressing sector in 2016?

really don't know what to invest now.haha

What do u mean by 'progressing'? I assume it means sectors with potential future growth beyond 2016.....

Probably robotics, artificial intelligence, virtual reality, driver-less cars and bio-tech.
My Personal Financial Blog (Getting $1.4k per month in dividends)
Holdng cash, waiting for property colling measures to be tweaked.
(12-05-2016, 01:28 PM)kichialo Wrote: Holdng cash, waiting for property colling measures to be tweaked.

is property still a viable investment? or just STI Index sufficient? Big Grin