Are you Frugal or Cheap?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 Ways Frugal People Aren’t Cheap
© Cultura/REX Many people often confuse frugality with being cheap. It's an understandable thought, as their definitions share similarities. Both traits are considered economical. Both want items at a lower price. Both want to use as few resources as possible. The end result in many of these situations is saving money.
There is, however, a key difference. We all love to save money, but it's the approach taken that makes all the difference. It's this difference that separates someone who is frugal from someone who is considered cheap. So, before you confuse a frugal person with someone who likes to be cheap, take a look at some of the following traits.
1 / 6 Pages

1. Frugal people take a macro-level view of finances. 
[img=856x21]file:///C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image004.jpg[/img]© Tetra Images/Corbis I've found that most frugal individuals often take a big picture view of their money. Yes, they're concerned with what they might spend on a certain item. That's a given for a frugal person. The amount spent isn't the determining factor of the spending decision, however. The determining factor is the value the item will bring into their lives.
For example, if there is a certain hobby they enjoy, they will spend the money necessary to enjoy that item. They won't cut every corner; they will get value because they'll derive value out of what the item will add to their lives. On the other hand, someone who is cheap will simply look to spend as little money as possible. While understandable, cheapness misses the bigger picture for the sake of saving a few dollars.

2. Frugal people look at quality. 
[img=854x21]file:///C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image006.jpg[/img]© Hero Images/Corbis Similar to taking a macro level view of finances, frugal people look for quality. They also realize quality might mean spending a little more to get it. The simple reason is spending a little more, in the beginning, will mean less money spent in the long run. Not only does this desire to spend on quality mean less money spent overall, but it also means less waste – another hallmark of frugality.

3. Frugal people don't steal. 
[img=859x21]file:///C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image008.jpg[/img]© Denis Closon/Rex Features When was the last time you were at a restaurant and saw someone grab a bunch of extra napkins or sauce packets and thought the person was frugal. We've all seen it happen. Perhaps we've even been guilty of it at times.
This is not frugality; it's theft. While it may help you save some money in the long run, it's not worth the hassle or embarrassment to a frugal person. You're betraying your values, which are worth more than money. 

4. Frugal people look at time. 
[img=854x21]file:///C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image010.jpg[/img]© REX/Blend Images A frugal person is keenly aware of the time spent on an item or task. A cheap person, on the other hand, forgets about the aspect of time and looks simply at the money saved. For example, when was the last time you heard someone brag about buying gas for ten cents less a gallon than you did?
That might sound great, on the surface, until they tell you it took them 20 minutes to drive across town to get the savings. A frugal person sees that 20 minutes and extra few dollars as a waste. They'd rather spend their time on something that brings greater value than chasing savings.

5. Frugal people splurge on occasion. 
[img=847x21]file:///C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image012.jpg[/img]© AP Photo/Bruno Brokken, Breitling Splurging on an item sounds like it might be contrary to a frugal mindset. It really isn't. In fact, it's a key part of frugality. Frugality is concerned with value, not being so miserly that you never have anything you want.
A frugal person is going to order their spending to get something they want, even if it's seemingly expensive. Whether that be a nice vacation, a certain brand name or more expensive and healthier food, a frugal person is going to adjust spending to allow for that splurge.
The bottom line is that frugal people are not overly worried about money. Frugal people simply want to make money work for them in the best way possible. They want their money to grow. They want to receive quality for their spending. They want more time to do the things they enjoy and they use wisdom to accomplish those things. Frugality and cheapness are often confused. That's understandable. Before you confuse frugality with being cheap, look at the kind of life the person is living and the value they're receiving from it. 

NB:-
It's so easy to be a spendthrift. A frugal shows he has a weigh and measure all the time in his mind. It's no wonder we are mistaken for being Cheap.
Sometimes, i think we frugal may cross the line unknowingly---thinking we are frugal which is actually the so call "penny wise, pound foolish.
Even in generosity, a frugal will try to ensure the gift fits the occasion and receiver.
At times of course, the weighing machine is off-balance.
And i like to think it's more to the side of the receiver

Weigh & Balance, Weigh & Balance man!
Is it too far from what you call "common sense"?
Just as it always is in life, it's easier to be on the other carefree side then to be on the worried side.
On the bad then on the good.
So,
It is always easier to be spendthrift than a frugal.
The question is
"Can you succeed as an investor and be a spendthrift at the same time"?
There is always a grey area which is always fuzzy.
WB:-

1) Rule # 1, do not lose money.
2) Rule # 2, refer to # 1.
3) Not until you can manage your emotions, you can manage your money.

Truism of Investments.
A) Buying a security is buying RISK not Return
B) You can control RISK (to a certain level, hopefully only.) But definitely not the outcome of the Return.

My signature is meant for psychoing myself. No offence to anyone. i am trying not to lose money unnecessary anymore.
Yes, I totally agree the five differences between "frugal" and "cheap", because I am one of the frugal people.  Tongue

I don't penny-wise and pound-foolish. Worth-the-money is the key, rather than only the price tag. I wouldn't go for cheap shoes in wet market, but quality shoes that worth the price tag. I wouldn't queue for discount. I love money, and “君子爱财,取之有道”. I seldom splurge, but I am willing to "splurge" for my girl and wife.

How about you?  Big Grin
“夏则资皮,冬则资纱,旱则资船,水则资车” - 范蠡
Ha! Ha!
i have already taken my stand in my NB:-
WB:-

1) Rule # 1, do not lose money.
2) Rule # 2, refer to # 1.
3) Not until you can manage your emotions, you can manage your money.

Truism of Investments.
A) Buying a security is buying RISK not Return
B) You can control RISK (to a certain level, hopefully only.) But definitely not the outcome of the Return.

My signature is meant for psychoing myself. No offence to anyone. i am trying not to lose money unnecessary anymore.
I'm definitely on the frugal side too based on the 5 points definition : )
Time is hidden cost nevertheless is still a cost. Many people miss out that when factoring the actual price.

Just my Diary
corylogics.blogspot.com/

I frugal and cheap.
(27-10-2015, 02:45 PM)GPD Wrote: I frugal and cheap.

like that u win! TongueBig GrinBig Grin
1) Try NOT to LOSE money!
2) Do NOT SELL in BEAR, BUY-BUY-BUY! invest in managements/companies that does the same!
3) CASH in hand is KING in BEAR! 
4) In BULL, SELL-SELL-SELL! 
im frugal, but deep down i just want to be cheap
(27-10-2015, 06:05 PM)grubb Wrote: im frugal, but deep down i just want to be cheap

LOL!!

exactly, but i hate being called El Cheapo by my friends.
Unfortunately, I'd fulfilled only 4 points..

Am I considerably 'cheap'? Haha, it doesn't matter as at the end of the day, I enjoy quality time with my family & friends as well as remaining a low budget with little time loss - opportunity cost I guess.

Now I know why spendthrifts often steer clear of me .. .. :o