Property crowdfunding comes to Canada with Toronto mall project

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A crowdfunding project in Canada. I am open for the innovation of fund-raising. I am yet to find out more in Singapore, but I heard that there are already similar but smaller projects happening in Singapore...

Property crowdfunding comes to Canada with Toronto mall project

A shopping mall in northern Toronto is set to be among the first Canadian real estate projects to be financed partly through crowdfunding.

NexusCrowd Inc. is opening its online platform tomorrow to accredited investors who want to contribute a minimum of C$10,000 ($7,520) for a stake in the property. The company says it’s the first in Canada to partner with institutions at the real estate development stage to use crowdfunding, an investing model that has become popular in the U.S. in recent years and is growing worldwide.

Accredited investors in Canada haven’t had access to the equity portion of development projects, Hitesh Rathod, NexusCrowd’s chief executive officer, said in a telephone interview from Toronto.

"There’s going to be a tremendous amount of demand for that type of project," he said.
Canadians are gaining access to such investments after crowdfunding for small startups was approved in May by financial-services regulators in six provinces. The Ontario Securities Commission is developing its own set of standards, due later this year.
http://www.theedgeproperty.com/sg/conten...-project-0
“夏则资皮,冬则资纱,旱则资船,水则资车” - 范蠡
so the start-up holding company raises funds through crowdfunding platforms, and mini-investors own shares of the holding co.?
Or the holding co. sells these properties to mini-investors + mark up/management fees?

Protection of these mini-investors, how do they ensure their rights are protected?

or? Big Grin

sounds like landbank/wine investments all over again, just using different platforms... Tongue correct me if i am WRONG sir! Big Grin
1) Try NOT to LOSE money!
2) Do NOT SELL in BEAR, BUY-BUY-BUY! invest in managements/companies that does the same!
3) CASH in hand is KING in BEAR! 
4) In BULL, SELL-SELL-SELL! 
(09-09-2015, 07:36 PM)brattzz Wrote: so the start-up holding company raises funds through crowdfunding platforms, and mini-investors own shares of the holding co.?
Or the holding co. sells these properties to mini-investors + mark up/management fees?

Protection of these mini-investors, how do they ensure their rights are protected?

or? Big Grin

sounds like landbank/wine investments all over again, just using different platforms... Tongue correct me if i am WRONG sir! Big Grin

I am still trying to get myself clear on the new "crowdfunding", in various countries. Yes, protection is one of the key area to clarify. In this case, it is only open to accredited investors, rather than any retail investors. I assume it is regulated.

It should be a partnership concept, but with more investors involved via a cost-effective platform.

(still trying to learn more on the concept)
“夏则资皮,冬则资纱,旱则资船,水则资车” - 范蠡