Rental rates depend on supply, demand

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rental rates depend on supply, demand - ST forum by Boby Jayaraman

Landlords can raise rents only when there are enough strong businesses to take the place of weaker ones.

Once this cycle stops, rents will fall.

This is how the free market system operates and it is best not to interfere.

Heart Love Compassion

A Life not Reflected is a Life not Worth Living.
感恩 26 April 2019 Straco AGM ppt  https://valuebuddies.com/thread-2915-pos...#pid152450
I fully agreed. Is all about demand and supply. Price will eventually come down with more supply in everything.
Cosmetics measure is Wayang only ...

Just my Diary
corylogics.blogspot.com/

This is applicable to almost every products.
“risk comes from not knowing what you’re doing.”
I don’t look to jump over 7-foot bars: I look around for 1-foot bars that I can step over.
If this is the case,

1. mall operators should not offer food courts.

2. NTUC fairprice should pay market rate for many of its outlets (many have concession rentals by virtue)

3. Hawker Market should also be decided by market rental and the pastry sellers will take over and the soon kueh and chee cheong fun stalls will disappear.

4. All the markets and hawker centres should disappear and replaced by highest rental food courts.

He is a rich full-time investor and independent director. I salute him for basing his whole family here and become Singaporeans, but I think he has forgotten the social side effects of this market based approach.
^^ totally agree. Is this guy an armchair junior economist or a PR who hasn't seen how "asset enhancement" policies of Singapore Inc had harmed us in the past 20 years?

This is not even new. It had been done and we are still paying the cost
Before you speak, listen. Before you write, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you invest, investigate. Before you criticize, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try. Before you retire, save. Before you die, give. –William A. Ward

Think Asset-Business-Structure (ABS)
(29-01-2014, 12:31 AM)specuvestor Wrote: ^^ totally agree. Is this guy an armchair junior economist or a PR who hasn't seen how "asset enhancement" policies of Singapore Inc had harmed us in the past 20 years?

Yes agree. But then just those people who live in landed semi-D suddenly become a few $million richer. Even though they may be not cash rich. And i think "asset enhancement" is still going on(aka target of 6.9 to ? million in total population).
We will be like HK & SHANGHAI.
WB:-

1) Rule # 1, do not lose money.
2) Rule # 2, refer to # 1.
3) Not until you can manage your emotions, you can manage your money.

Truism of Investments.
A) Buying a security is buying RISK not Return
B) You can control RISK (to a certain level, hopefully only.) But definitely not the outcome of the Return.

NB:-
My signature is meant for psychoing myself. No offence to anyone. i am trying not to lose money unnecessary anymore.
(29-01-2014, 08:32 AM)Temperament Wrote:
(29-01-2014, 12:31 AM)specuvestor Wrote: ^^ totally agree. Is this guy an armchair junior economist or a PR who hasn't seen how "asset enhancement" policies of Singapore Inc had harmed us in the past 20 years?

Yes agree. But then just those people who live in landed semi-D suddenly become a few $million richer. Even though they may be not cash rich. And i think "asset enhancement" is still going on(aka target of 6.9 to ? million in total population).
We will be like HK & SHANGHAI.

we wont be like HK and SH. coz these PRC cities have relative lesser public housing, compared to SG's 80%.
"... but quitting while you're ahead is not the same as quitting." - Quote from the movie American Gangster
1. Bobby and his families are Singaporeans.

2. He wrote an excellent book on REITs - "Building Wealth Through REITs"

3. He used to work for McKinsey and Standard Chartered

4. He is now a full-time investor, an independent director at Second Chance

Quote:This is how the free market system operates and it is best not to interfere.

If the free market is disrupting the basic necessities, it must be moderated.
And, free market isn't exactly free either since majority of the commercial properties are owned by a few groups of developers and herd instincts among them will make them follow the leaders.

REITs are especially bad since they stress too much on creating values for shareholders with zero considerations of better shopping choices and nurturing of promising businesses.
At the end of the day, the shopping centres will end up with a few major brands (Giodarno, Uniqlo, Bossini, Kopitiam, Toast box, breadtalk....) simply because they are able to lower the costs via buying in bulks and employing of foreign workers.

Singapore shopping centres are just clones of each other.
Is that really true?

I agree with the fact that most of the major brand stores are like clones everywhere but I have notice that a lot of small local shops are present in these shopping centers too selling either their own creations or selections they have made through their merchandizing process.

Similar when it comes down to food choices, I notice that there are big brands names and then a lot of small shops selling non branded food creations .

However , I seem to have seen that only in neighborhood malls and not so much in city malls. However, malls like Far East Plaza is not your clone mall.

I think as a mall operator one of the consideration would be diversity of tenant and choice and thus rental rates across tenants are very different.

Some tenants are there for diversity and choice and others are there for the profit they provide.

Have I got it wrong?

(29-01-2014, 10:27 AM)yeokiwi Wrote:
Quote:This is how the free market system operates and it is best not to interfere.

If the free market is disrupting the basic necessities, it must be moderated.
And, free market isn't exactly free either since majority of the commercial properties are owned by a few groups of developers and herd instincts among them will make them follow the leaders.

REITs are especially bad since they stress too much on creating values for shareholders with zero considerations of better shopping choices and nurturing of promising businesses.
At the end of the day, the shopping centres will end up with a few major brands (Giodarno, Uniqlo, Bossini, Kopitiam, Toast box, breadtalk....) simply because they are able to lower the costs via buying in bulks and employing of foreign workers.

Singapore shopping centres are just clones of each other.