Is there a silver lining investing in Silver Coins?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I had invested in both silver coins and also had a UOB silver savings account.

It has been more than a year and the performance for both are still in red.

I wish to hear from others who can share their experiences and perhaps trade strategies on their successes.

Cheers
I personally do not invest in gold/silver as I do not consider them proper investments. This is because they do not generate cash flows.
My Value Investing Blog: http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com/
I view gold and silver as money. When buying physical gold or silver in the form of investment-grade bullion, it is not really investing but rather the conversion of fiat currency to real money.

In summary, it's more of a hedge against the systemic collapse of the global monetary system which is based on fiat currency.
Commodities and Gold do not generate cash flow, in fact, you need cash to maintain it (storage fees etc.). As such, I don't think a value investor should invest in it.

Commodities like gold and silver, used to be able to hedge against inflation, but due to it being used for speculation in the recent years, it is less and less attractive for that purpose.
so much has been mentioned about the fiat currency........as a layman, i cannot imagine what it is like. will we be back to barter trade ?
if fiat currency won't happen, then all these buying real money - is it a myth cook up by some smart guys to spin a investment story for people to get in ?

The world of investment/speculation - how does one ever fully understand how it works , really.
(08-04-2013, 08:44 PM)byfaith Wrote: so much has been mentioned about the fiat currency........as a layman, i cannot imagine what it is like. will we be back to barter trade ?
if fiat currency won't happen, then all these buying real money - is it a myth cook up by some smart guys to spin a investment story for people to get in ?

The world of investment/speculation - how does one ever fully understand how it works , really.

Fiat currencies never last. In the many thousands years of history, there has been no fiat currency has survived the test of time. The only exception is the current global "monetary" system.

Eventually this fiat currency system will also fail. But the key issue is no one can predict when the collapse will occur. It may be 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, 50 years, 100 years or even 500 years. No one can say for certain. The only certain thing is that it will eventually fail. Currently, one major red flag is the excessive printing of currency as seen in the US, Europe, Japan etc. which may perhaps increase the likelihood of an imminent collapse. Yet who knows? Meh Undecided
on the topic of silver has anybody explored silver wire? I bet you not many here even thought of this Big Grin

I was looking into it a while back and found it interesting but rather costly. silver wire very high purity below 0.5mm in diameter used to replace copper cabling in hi-fi audio to reduce noise is 99.99% or 99.999% pure, but silver bullion bought from banks usually 999 or 99.9 only
silver wire ?
what is it ?
industrial material ?
is there a resale market ?
who selling ? who buying ?
(09-04-2013, 05:40 PM)byfaith Wrote: silver wire ?
what is it ?
industrial material ?
is there a resale market ?
who selling ? who buying ?

The problem is not who is buying, it's genuine stuff so I think won't be any problem. I was going around looking for closing down audio shops with possible old stock going at firesale prices but no luck there.

The problem is the price they were selling at shop retail prices at a huge markup so to invest in it will mean overpaying before even making any money a big risk.

I also went to mustafa in the jewellery department there is a small section where they sell physical 998 999 silver bars and coins but all going at retail markup prices several times higher than market rates.

physical very hard to hold lah.

Anyways in the 2013 prediction thread my prediction is this year gold market will tank and take a correction. Big Grin

(so not vested also)
My Transformers silver coins. Big Grin

[Image: IMG_0217.JPG]

[Image: IMG_0218.JPG]
My Dividend Investing Blog