Sights and sounds at Punggol East By-Elections

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disclaimer: I am not an WP or any political party activits.

When my grandfather was alive, he often showed us grandchildren a PAP booklet where none other than LKY signed off thanking him for his grassroot help in the elections in 1960s.

His work: Nothing else than transporting chairs and tables as a labourer.

When he passed away, he was still a staunch PAP supporter till the end.

For those who have friends who volunteered in WP during the past month, you would have them telling you that they paid their own transports, took their own leaves so as to help out.

This is the sincere grassroot works that PAP had lost. Ask why many who helped out at the Meet the People Session or RC are in for.. you may be surprised.

Anyway, enough of my blabbering, hope you enjoy the clip which MSM would not show it at any cost. Big Grin

Same with PA. Either they disband it or reorganise it to be political party independent.
It's kind of mockery when PA stands for People's Association while the people does not identify with the association.

Or change it to Recreation's Association to limit their roles to organise recreational activities for citizens.
(28-01-2013, 04:56 PM)arthur Wrote: Disclaimer: I am not an WP or any political party activits.

When my grandfather was alive, he often showed us grandchildren a PAP booklet where none other than LKY signed off thanking him for his grassroot help in the elections in 1960s.

His work: Nothing else than transporting chairs and tables as a labourer.

When he passed away, he was still a staunch PAP supporter till the end.

For those who have friends who volunteered in WP during the past month, you would have them telling you that they paid their own transports, took their own leaves so as to help out.

This is the sincere grassroot works that PAP had lost. Ask why many who helped out at the Meet the People Session or RC are in for.. you may be surprised.

Anyway, enough of my blabbering, hope you enjoy the clip which MSM would not show it at any cost. Big Grin

Haha ...funny...I agreed with your 2nd last paragraph. Most of my friends I knew help out in RC just for one purpose - hoping to get into that desired Primary school.
And why is that desired Primary School important? Seriously, our education system is a sad sight to behold....I wonder what's wrong with a normal neighbourhood school (I too came from a normal neighbourhood school)
Priority to get a HDB flat , school . Many who deal with local biz hope to get PBMs BBM.
As a Singaporean, I am happy for the opposition party.

It adds diversity in the parliament and more voice for the people. However, maybe in 10- 20 years' time, I am skeptical whether a two-party system can be effective in governing its people well.
Quote:As a Singaporean, I am happy for the opposition party.

It adds diversity in the parliament and more voice for the people. However, maybe in 10- 20 years' time, I am skeptical whether a two-party system can be effective in governing its people well.

Governments should be there to serve you not you serve them, In every free country in the world they do this, 2-3 parties maybe bickering maybe is not perfect but anything decided in the end will really be for the best interest of the people and this has prevailed, time to get your mind around this idea. I don't want or need anybody to government me.

If they want our votes they better work hard and try to meet our interests. Big Grin
(28-01-2013, 05:54 PM)kelvesy Wrote: As a Singaporean, I am happy for the opposition party.

It is highly beneficial to us, the citizens, if we have at least a bipolar political system in parliament that are both strong and effective in attracting talents to debate on issues.

It is a given that PAP can govern of which WP could not as of now, ie. the control of the ministries/stat boards, GLCs and various key essential companies which are high entrenched into the imcumbent party's branches.

Thus that's why LTK of WP said it is far too early for WP to be the majority party within parliament as it doesn't have enough talents nor reach yet.

But for us as citizens to give WP a chance, is to give ourselves a chance as well, that WP can build itself to attract enough talents so as to complement or even substitute the imcumbent party someday.

The fall of Punggol East clearly reflects that in spite of GE 2011 warning sign, the incumbent party insisted on going its path, believing they knew the best.

This is not correct. So if we look at it another perspective, if PAP did indeed listen to the electorate, perhaps WP would not be growing to be such a strong contender today.

(28-01-2013, 06:13 PM)sgd Wrote: Governments should be there to serve you not you serve them, In every free country in the world they do this, 2-3 parties maybe bickering maybe is not perfect but anything decided in the end will really be for the best interest of the people and this has prevailed, time to get your mind around this idea. I don't want or need anybody to government me.

If they want our votes they better work hard and try to meet our interests. Big Grin

You're right, sgd. In terms of governing its people, I am trying to highlight the case of pushing out good policies for the nation and the people, not intervening in people's daily life excessively. Sorry if I have not phrased my sentence correctly.
They have to work hard to earn our votes.
Do we really envy Taiwan politics degeneration where the politicians are so enslaved by populist policies, and public servants are degraded and ridiculed to the extent of inaction, after authoritarian strongman Chiang and his son? (an unfortunate coincidence with Singapore which I hope will not be extrapolated further in the future)

中庸之道.

I am a happy observer of the change in climate in Singapore politics, giving credit to LHL for opening up, vs the lip service and even worse policies of his predecessor that planted the roots of all these problems. I wouldn't want the pendulum of individualism to swing to the other extreme.

(28-01-2013, 06:13 PM)sgd Wrote: I don't want or need anybody to government me.

this is a pretty dangerous ideology as the right wing republicans in US. They are ok to enjoy the fruit of collectivism ie bailouts or New Jersey federal aid, but assume all success is attributed to the individual only.

I don't believe in Rambos, nor the Hollywood excessive portrayal of a man changing the world. Neither LKY nor Steve Jobs can achieve what they achieved without the team of people backing them up.
Before you speak, listen. Before you write, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you invest, investigate. Before you criticize, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try. Before you retire, save. Before you die, give. –William A. Ward

Think Asset-Business-Structure (ABS)