Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Straits Times
www.straitstimes.com
Published on Oct 02, 2012
Raids on gold trader in S'pore, Malaysia

Genneva had not met financial obligations to clients for months

By magdalen ng

THE Commercial Affairs Department raided the offices of gold trading firm Genneva yesterday, while a similar operation was conducted by the Malaysian authorities across the border.

Officers were seen taking cardboard boxes and computer hardware from the firm's eighth-floor premises in Orchard Towers when The Straits Times visited yesterday afternoon.

One of the firm's agents - they sell the gold to customers - said some employees, including the operations manager and the marketing director, have been asked to help with investigations.

Customers who called at the office yesterday said they had not been given any explanations but were told to get in touch with their consultants. There was also no mention as to when the office would be reopened.

The raid in Malaysia was carried out by the police and financial regulators. The police action is the latest problem for Genneva, which has been unable to meet financial obligations to customers and agents for some months.

One customer has sued Genneva for $190,000 and won a provisional judgment in her favour. The Straits Times understands that many other clients are thinking of taking similar action.

In a letter addressed to customers and consultants dated last Friday, Genneva said the directors had discovered "financial improprieties that led to delay in the payment of discounts and commissions and fulfilment of buy-back guarantees".

It added that the necessary police reports have been filed. It is unclear if the authorities acted on the firm's reports, or of their own accord.

The letter was signed by Mr Justin Lim, who said he had been appointed the new general manager and that fresh management had been appointed.

"The directors are in the midst of negotiations with an external party who is prepared to assist the company and see it through the financial crisis," he stated. "The objective is to ensure that all obligations to the company's customers and consultants are met."

It is unclear if this means a third party might invest in Genneva. The firm could not be reached for further comment yesterday.

Mr Lim's letter also asked customers and consultants to remain calm and to cooperate with the company to work out amicable solutions.

Genneva's website repeated the same message and included: "Keep the faith. We will be back soon. This is our promise."

A Genneva consultant, who wanted to be known only as Mr Koh, said he and his colleagues had not been given any official instructions and have not been able to access the Web portal assigned to them.

Genneva is not regulated by the Monetary Authority of Singapore and has been placed on its Investor Alert List of unlicensed entities. Consumers deal with these companies at their own risk.

songyuan@sph.com.sg
My Value Investing Blog: http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com/
Mod, can you please paste the full link. thanks Smile
http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/top-...a-20121002
http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNew...74909.html
Quite amazing they manage to attract thousand of customers.

Just my Diary
corylogics.blogspot.com/

(02-10-2012, 10:53 AM)corydorus Wrote: Quite amazing they manage to attract thousand of customers.

Two words - Greed & Ignorance
i "guarantee" you this will not be the last or the least. Most of us if not all of us have to be "suckers" at least once in our lifetime, in one way or another to learn. Have you been a "sucker" before? i have more than once. i am old enough to meet almost all types of sale-man, some of them who can make a sucker out of you. Caveat Emptor is not for fun. And don't believe in any "Guarantee" that has a lot conditions attached-That actually means no "guarantee at all.

(02-10-2012, 11:02 AM)Musicwhiz Wrote:
(02-10-2012, 10:53 AM)corydorus Wrote: Quite amazing they manage to attract thousand of customers.

Yes! Some are due to their greed or ignorance. But i can tell you many are just born with a kind of "innocence" that can be conned even if you meet them for the 1st time. i am sure for i have come across such people. May God keep all the scammers far away from them. And there are people desperately in debt who may tries anything to get out off it. etc......
WB:-

1) Rule # 1, do not lose money.
2) Rule # 2, refer to # 1.
3) Not until you can manage your emotions, you can manage your money.

Truism of Investments.
A) Buying a security is buying RISK not Return
B) You can control RISK (to a certain level, hopefully only.) But definitely not the outcome of the Return.

NB:-
My signature is meant for psychoing myself. No offence to anyone. i am trying not to lose money unnecessary anymore.
(02-10-2012, 02:43 PM)Temperament Wrote: i "guarantee" you this will not be the last or the least. Most of us if not all of us have to be "suckers" at least once in our lifetime, in one way or another to learn. Have you been a "sucker" before? i have more than once. i am old enough to meet almost all types of sale-man who can make a sucker out of you. Caveat Emptor is not for fun. And don't believe in any "Guarantee" that has a lot conditions attached-That actually means no "guarantee at all.

Yes! Some are due to their greed or ignorance. But i can tell you many are just born with a kind of "innocence" that can be conned even if you meet them for the 1st time. i am sure for i have come across such people. May God keep all the scammers far away from them. And there are people desperately in debt who may tries anything to get out off it. etc......

Temperament,

What you said above is very true!

I was once a big 'ah gong', and many many times a smaller 'ah gong'!

Looking back, you asked yourself, how could I be so naive during those times!

We have come this far, so we have learnt to be wiser!

And just when we are pulling our hand brakes, some others are

stepping on the accelerator! They too will learn to be smarter one day!
(02-10-2012, 04:05 PM)etan Wrote:
(02-10-2012, 02:43 PM)Temperament Wrote: i "guarantee" you this will not be the last or the least. Most of us if not all of us have to be "suckers" at least once in our lifetime, in one way or another to learn. Have you been a "sucker" before? i have more than once. i am old enough to meet almost all types of sale-man who can make a sucker out of you. Caveat Emptor is not for fun. And don't believe in any "Guarantee" that has a lot conditions attached-That actually means no "guarantee at all.

Temperament,

What you said above is very true!

I was once a big 'ah gong', and many many times a smaller 'ah gong'!

Looking back, you asked yourself, how could I be so naive during those times!

We have come this far, so we have learnt to be wiser!

And just when we are pulling our hand brakes, some others are

stepping on the accelerator! They too will learn to be smarter one day!

believe it or not even with all the knowledge and careful planning the wise the street smart will still get scammed. History have shown that greed and ambition being the primary ingredient.
Remarkable. Financial failure is a messy business. All the best to those caught up in this.