Newbie needs help to learn about value investing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am new to fundamental analysis and got to know about value investing, growth and garp. I read that garp is more of a combination of value and growth investing knowledge. Therefore, I decided to learn about value investing first as it is used by popular investors like warren Buffett. But I don't know where to start, I current am reading the intelligent investor by Benjamin graham and I also bought one up on wall street by Peter lynch. Is there any thread you guys recommend or members highly recommended to follow?
(06-06-2012, 02:26 PM)nelson7lim Wrote: I am new to fundamental analysis and got to know about value investing, growth and garp. I read that garp is more of a combination of value and growth investing knowledge. Therefore, I decided to learn about value investing first as it is used by popular investors like warren Buffett. But I don't know where to start, I current am reading the intelligent investor by Benjamin graham and I also bought one up on wall street by Peter lynch. Is there any thread you guys recommend or members highly recommended to follow?

My sincere advice to you is you have a whole life time to learn. So take your time to learn as much as you can. And Then find out yourself what works for you. i am still learning. It means i may still make mistakes. Only hopefully not so obvious foolish mistakes. May you enjoy your lifelong-investment journey.
Shalom!TongueBig Grin
WB:-

1) Rule # 1, do not lose money.
2) Rule # 2, refer to # 1.
3) Not until you can manage your emotions, you can manage your money.

Truism of Investments.
A) Buying a security is buying RISK not Return
B) You can control RISK (to a certain level, hopefully only.) But definitely not the outcome of the Return.

NB:-
My signature is meant for psychoing myself. No offence to anyone. i am trying not to lose money unnecessary anymore.
Learning never ends in the ever changing world of finance right? Even having a strategy that works 30 years ago needs to be changed to adapt to current economy.
Get your hands dirty - best way is to learn while reading and analyzing.

Get invested - probably with amount you can afford to lose all yet also feel the pinch when you lose it.

It's a whole new world when you are really invested with your own cash.
The real experience help.

Before i gone thru the recent Japan Earth-quark and Thai flood, i will never imagine "Black Swan" events can be so real to ones investment, even on good stocks. I am lucky to go thru them without much impacted. A very value-able experience.

Never too confident on ones investment, Black Swan event happen when you never expect them.
“夏则资皮,冬则资纱,旱则资船,水则资车” - 范蠡
I would like to recommend to read this book "Financial Shenanigans" by Howard & Jeremy

It helped me a lot to understand financial report.
@cityfarmer
thank you for the suggestions i will definitely check the book out soon! i sure wont be too confident. im sure margin of safety will be of great help.
@dzwn87
what are the books where i can read and apply immediately?
(06-06-2012, 05:13 PM)nelson7lim Wrote: @dzwn87

The ones you are reading are already good. Others I recommend:

- The little book series (i.e. the little book that beats the market, the little book of value investment, etc) - good books which give a quick summary fo what is needed to be cover for the particular topic
- Martin Fridson's financial statement analysis - good book to understand on financial statement analysis; this is more for the (basic) quantitative analysis part
- Howard Mark's the most important thing - good coverage on investor's concept
- Joel Greenblatt's you can be a stock market genius - special situation focused
- if possible, Seth Klarman's margin of safety - can get it from the university's libraries
(06-06-2012, 05:36 PM)dzwm87 Wrote:
(06-06-2012, 05:13 PM)nelson7lim Wrote: @dzwn87

The ones you are reading are already good. Others I recommend:

- The little book series (i.e. the little book that beats the market, the little book of value investment, etc) - good books which give a quick summary fo what is needed to be cover for the particular topic
- Martin Fridson's financial statement analysis - good book to understand on financial statement analysis; this is more for the (basic) quantitative analysis part
- Howard Mark's the most important thing - good coverage on investor's concept
- Joel Greenblatt's you can be a stock market genius - special situation focused
- if possible, Seth Klarman's margin of safety - can get it from the university's libraries

To add one more, Philips Fisher's "Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits"
Yes! After reading books on financial shenanigans or how many ways a company can cook its annual report, you just wonder how to know really whatever you read about a company's annual report is not cooked. In other words before even you choose a company to invest, it's better to know its reputation first. And sometimes even professional analysts miss spotting the "cooking". Don't think i can spot any. If i can the accountant is not worth his salt. So don't forget the "Intangibles" of a company too, like its reputation or resources. TongueBig Grin
WB:-

1) Rule # 1, do not lose money.
2) Rule # 2, refer to # 1.
3) Not until you can manage your emotions, you can manage your money.

Truism of Investments.
A) Buying a security is buying RISK not Return
B) You can control RISK (to a certain level, hopefully only.) But definitely not the outcome of the Return.

NB:-
My signature is meant for psychoing myself. No offence to anyone. i am trying not to lose money unnecessary anymore.