CIMB FTSE ASEAN 40

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The investment objective of the CIMB FTSE ASEAN 40 is to provide investment results that, before expenses, closely correspond to the performance of the FTSE/ASEAN 40 Index.

Top 10 holdings as at 30 April 2012 (No. Company Name - Weight):
1. Astra International - 5.93%
2. DBS Group Holdings - 5.42%
3. Singapore Telecom - 5.39%
4. Oversea-Chinese Banking - 5.04%
5. United Overseas Bank - 4.85%
6. Malayan Banking - 4.40%
7. Public Bank Fgn - 4.30%
8. Sime Darby Bhd - 3.90%
9. CIMB Group Holdings - 3.67%
10. Keppel Corp - 3.22%

As at 21 May 2012 :
Trading Currency - US$
Lot Size - 100
Closing Price - US$ 9.58
Distribution Yield - 3.65%
Exchange - SGX
Does anyone know whether this ETF can be bought using SRS funds?
I have checked with CIMB and DBS. This ETF can be bought with SRS funds
sorry for digging up old thread.

There's two ETFs, one offering in US$ and the other in SG$ for this product. May i know if there's any fundamental differences? is there anything i should take note of between the two?

thanks!
Hi Pantoo,

There is no fundamental difference, just a matter for you on how you settle the trade i.e, you can choose to settle in USD or SGD.

For example, if you are trading this with SRS funds, you are likely to want to settle this in SGD, so, you can buy the SGD counter.

Alternately, you can buy the USD counter and instruct your broker to present for settlement in SGD to your SRS house.

A bit similar to the way you have one SGD and one USD counter for HPH trust.

In both cases ultimately you hold the USD counter only.

Hope this helps, i just looked at this thread
Disclaimer :-

I am not an investment professional.

I encourage you to do your own independent "due diligence" on any idea that I write about, because I could be and probably am wrong.

Nothing written here is an invitation to buy or sell any particular stock.

At most, I am handing out an educated guess as to what the markets may do.

The market will always find a new way to make a fool out of me (and maybe, even you!).

Even the best strategies of the past fail, sometimes spectacularly, when you least expect it.

I am not immune to that, so please understand that any past success of mine will probably be followed by failures
Thank you, Shrivathsa, for your reply. Smile
Revisiting this thread. I just managed to pull out the numbers for CIMB FTSE Asean 40 ETF.

The raw numbers after all the drops across markets show that in the last ten years, this ETF has returned around 6.43% a year in USD terms to an investor after expenses.

Of this 6.43% return, 1.51% is capital appreciation and 4.92% is in the form of dividends.

The caveat of course is that the future may not necessarily be the same as the past, but, if you are looking for a 6% a year return this may not be a bad ETF to invest in.

I encourage you to do your own independent "due diligence" on any idea that I write about, because I could be and probably am wrong.

The market will always find a new way to make a fool out of me (and maybe, even you!).

Even the best strategies of the past fail, sometimes spectacularly, when you least expect it.

I am not immune to that, so please understand that any past success of mine will probably be followed by failures
(15-01-2016, 10:36 AM)Shrivathsa Wrote: Revisiting this thread. I just managed to pull out the numbers for CIMB FTSE Asean 40 ETF.

The raw numbers after all the drops across markets show that in the last ten years, this ETF has returned around 6.43% a year in USD terms to an investor after expenses.

Of this 6.43% return, 1.51% is capital appreciation and 4.92% is in the form of dividends.

The caveat of course is that the future may not necessarily be the same as the past, but, if you are looking for a 6% a year return this may not be a bad ETF to invest in.

the only problem is the liquidity of this etf... that kindda puts me off. Sad
Hi Pantoo,

I think what you mean is the lack of retail investors in the ETF and the spread.

The liquidity is there, CIMB has to provide it, around 7000 units for buying and selling.

The problem is the spread is around 1.3% for example, today's price is 7.35 for Selling and 7.45 for buying.

So, in that sense, one starts with a 1.3% hurdle, i.e. right after buying, technically, we are down 1.3%.

By and large you are right, there is hardly any volume in the counter.

However, if you are following an asset allocation strategy and want ASEAN exposure without getting into stock picking, this could provide it.

Full Disclosure : I have held it for close to 2 years, following this approach.

Hi Shrivathsa,

Yup, I'm concerned that I would not be able to find buyers if I need to liquidate it quickly.

Can you share more on this statement that you made in the previous post - "The liquidity is there, CIMB has to provide it, around 7000 units for buying and selling."

Is there any of such information available?

Thank you!