Error uploading attachments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dear admin,

I have been trying to upload an attachment over the past week but I have been unsuccessful. IE/Chrome will attempt to upload it and then show me the timeout error message.

Do I not have the rights to upload? Or is there an misconfig on the server etc?

(just for your info, the pdf that I am trying to upload is less than 1.5meg)

Thanks
Hi valuenewb,

The default server setting for uploaded file is not more than 1 Mega.
I have made some changes to the server setting, now we can upload pdf file not more than 2M.

Due to resource limit, please contact admin if forumers would like to upload more than 2M.
Hi Cyclone

Noticed that our attachments are forever uploaded within this forum.
Is that a good thing if this forum is to last a long time and the total amount of attachments get very large?

Would the host impose a higher maintainence fees then?

(27-04-2012, 01:08 PM)arthur Wrote: Is that a good thing if this forum is to last a long time and the total amount of attachments get very large?
Up until now, the storage used for attachment (50M) is still very small compared with available storage resource (20G).

Quote:
Would the host impose a higher maintainence fees then?
We may need a larger hosting plan if the forum lasts very long. Addtional 10G storage and 256M ram costs additional 10 USD hosting fee monthly.
Thanks for being so transparent about the administrative and financial details of running this forum.

Was wondering if you want to consider discontinuing the upload facility for forumers (except admin and moderators) and instead asking forumers to upload to free 3rd party providers in the cloud eg. photobucket or the likes, then link in to valuebuddies (which many are already doing).

Benefits would be:
- Less bandwidth consumed thru VB
- No big storage requirements that could bloat up over time and costs more after 20GB (10,000 of 2MB files OR if 1000 members, 10 files each)
- Less VB legal liability for contents of upload since it is just a link
- In case need to migrate to new web host in future, may be easier

Sort of an asset lite strategy.
Hi swakoo, thanks for the input.
Your admin welcome forumers who want to upload to free 3rd party providers and then link back to valuebuddies.

But your admin will not discontinue the upload facility in the forum.
Hi cyclone,

Thanks for notifying your position on this feature.