Hello Everyone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi everyone,

New member here. I am a 19 year old male, living in Singapore. Found this forum by searching the terms 'investing forum' via Google. Had been searching for a forum for investors in Singapore but to no avail until today - most forum has little or no active members.

Basically I am very new to investing and am keen to learn more about it as I browse around the web. Basically interested in the stock market and general investing.

As soon as I've found this forum, I wondered what was the meaning of "Value Investing" and found out that it is quite an interesting strategy via reading a beginner article in investopedia - http://www.investopedia.com/university/v...z1q8UZvbhv (sharing it here for other beginners to read as well)

Do guide me along yeah? See you guys around ! Shy
Welcome and enjoy your stay here! It seems investors are getting younger and younger these days! I only started investing at around 28 and value investing at around 30-31, so it's good to have a massive head start!

Learn as much as you can here - there are young and promising forummers here such as shanrui who can help to guide and educate. Veterans such as d.o.g. and dydx also share many insights on companies and investing in general.
My Value Investing Blog: http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com/
welcome and i feel heartened to see young chaps join in for REAL investing lifestyle and hopefully enjoyed this new hobby too!... Big Grin
1) Try NOT to LOSE money!
2) Do NOT SELL in BEAR, BUY-BUY-BUY! invest in managements/companies that does the same!
3) CASH in hand is KING in BEAR! 
4) In BULL, SELL-SELL-SELL! 
you should be in the NS soon, take those free time to read up more. I only started reading up in my second year when I have more freedom.

It' always good to start early, Buffett started at an age of 11, which means he got a lot more time to learn from his mistakes, compound his money and undergo more full bull-bear cycle.

And to be successful, the first book that you should read is The Intelligent Investor, not any other trading book. What you read can determine whether you will become a trader or investor...
Welcome BrendonA!

I am the class clown here.

My welcome words of non-wisdom:

Remember how you learned to ride the bicycle or learned how to swim Wink
Just google singapore man of leisure
(26-03-2012, 10:22 AM)Jared Seah Wrote: Welcome BrendonA!

I am the class clown here.

My welcome words of non-wisdom:

Remember how you learned to ride the bicycle or learned how to swim Wink

I agree with you absolutely. My 90% failure rate in my first 10 trades convinced me that I am a lousy speculator, thus i decided to become a serious investor instead. Was lucky that my starting capital was small, hence i got relatively less injured
Welcome BrendonA!
I am the old man here who missed a lot of learning during my youth. That's why i am still trying my best to learn from anyone. Good or Bad.Big Grin
WB:-

1) Rule # 1, do not lose money.
2) Rule # 2, refer to # 1.
3) Not until you can manage your emotions, you can manage your money.

Truism of Investments.
A) Buying a security is buying RISK not Return
B) You can control RISK (to a certain level, hopefully only.) But definitely not the outcome of the Return.

NB:-
My signature is meant for psychoing myself. No offence to anyone. i am trying not to lose money unnecessary anymore.
Welcome Brendon,

I can't think of any better advantage than the youth you have. When you understand the magic of compounding, you'll see. You probably don't have much capital to start with but that's ok, build up your human capital.
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone ! Big Grin

@Musicwhiz Thank you for your advices and also for introducing forumers that I can learn from. And yes, I agree with you that I am lucky to be of my age now and may take this age to my advantage - certainly thankful that I'm introduced to the 'investing world' when I'm still young.

@brattzz Thank you!

@shanrui_91 Yup, I will be going in NS in 2 years time. I'm currently in year 2 in a local polytechnic now. Yes, I will for sure take this young age as a chance to learn as much as I can. "Intelligent Investor" is definitely in my list of books to get. I've just got "stock investing for dummies" 2 days ago.

@Jared Seah Hello class clown, thanks for your warm welcome and advice.

@Temperament To me, I believe that age is not a matter as long as we are willing to learn!

@kazukirai Hey there. You certainly make me feel happy that I'm at of this age now and I have this opportunity to learn more. Yes, you are right, I don't think I have much capital to start of with (maybe only 3-5k) so I'm investing more on books now as I save and earn more money.

Thank you everyone once again and see you around

(31-03-2012, 12:51 AM)BrendonA Wrote: Thank you for the warm welcome everyone ! Big Grin

@Musicwhiz Thank you for your advices and also for introducing forumers that I can learn from. And yes, I agree with you that I am lucky to be of my age now and may take this age to my advantage - certainly thankful that I'm introduced to the 'investing world' when I'm still young.

@brattzz Thank you!

@shanrui_91 Yup, I will be going in NS in 2 years time. I'm currently in year 2 in a local polytechnic now. Yes, I will for sure take this young age as a chance to learn as much as I can. "Intelligent Investor" is definitely in my list of books to get. I've just got "stock investing for dummies" 2 days ago.

@Jared Seah Hello class clown, thanks for your warm welcome and advice.

@Temperament To me, I believe that age is not a matter as long as we are willing to learn!

@kazukirai Hey there. You certainly make me feel happy that I'm at of this age now and I have this opportunity to learn more. Yes, you are right, I don't think I have much capital to start of with (maybe only 3-5k) so I'm investing more on books now as I save and earn more money.

Thank you everyone once again and see you around

Hi Mate,

Welcome. I started 6 yrs younger than you and it has became a passion, something that drives you for a life time.

Equities investments is easier than running a real business. All the best in building up your life long knowledge.

VB has many Crouching Tigers and Hidden Dragons and as they are willing to share their knowledge, there is always someone that we can learn from as investments is a life learning process, better than PHDs