Passion vs Practical

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I read hyom's comment about his view on being practical in career. I kind of agree to it. When I talked to my friends about what their wanna do for their business... most will say they wanna follow their Passion.

My view is that one may enjoy doing certain things as hobby. But to run it as a business is completely different. When you do things that you like repeatedly, for months or years, most people may get bored. and doing business, one has to manage HR, sales, marketing, etc, which is much more complex.

Of course, running business requires some interest into it. But I think the more critical deciding factor could be the determination and belief to make things work. Unless the person's aim is just to make a simple living.

Hope to hear your views!! Big Grin
I would think it's very true!

For myself, my passion has always been music (hence, the nick!), but I've always known that it's just an intense hobby and cannot be a viable business. Friends have asked me to try to make money out of this, but for me I prefer it to remain a hobby so that I can enjoy it better.

Knowing songs, collecting music videos and memorizing lyrics are all part and parcel of my passion. I doubt this can be turned into a viable business.

Therefore, I agree that passion (alone) may not always translate into money. A business idea followed by a viable business model is more important.
My Value Investing Blog: http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com/
Guess my passion to do investment is more practical Smile lol
(13-12-2011, 11:33 AM)Musicwhiz Wrote: I would think it's very true!

For myself, my passion has always been music (hence, the nick!), but I've always known that it's just an intense hobby and cannot be a viable business. Friends have asked me to try to make money out of this, but for me I prefer it to remain a hobby so that I can enjoy it better.

Knowing songs, collecting music videos and memorizing lyrics are all part and parcel of my passion. I doubt this can be turned into a viable business.

Therefore, I agree that passion (alone) may not always translate into money. A business idea followed by a viable business model is more important.

Hey musicwhiz, my other passion is music too. I play the drums. How about you? Electric guitar I suppose? Big Grin
If u r really good in memorizing lyrics, can join those tv contests that play a song halfway and then you have to continue singing the missing lyrics. Still can make money from your passion.
Interesting question!

I remember a buddhist story that may illustrate that passion and practical are not mutually exclusive:

One monk asked Buddha whether the laws of cause and effect "binds" him.

Buddha replied his is not "blind" to the laws of cause and effect.

A budding writer may write commerical advertising copy in the day to support his passion of writing serious novels in the night.

An executive may work his butts off during weekdays to support his passion of scuba-diving during the weekends.

When the writer or executive have "enough"; they can pursue their passions full-time. Until then, the practical thing is to pursue their passions part-time.

Not everything has to lead to a "business". Nothing wrong with doing something you like, and somebody else is paying for it!

But there's a difference between being "practical" and "settling".

Doing something you "hate" is "settling". In some quarters, it's also called prostituting....
Just google singapore man of leisure
Haha no I don't play any instruments, just have a good head for songs, lyrics and artistes that's all. People usually call me "Jukebox". Tongue
My Value Investing Blog: http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com/
i feel that in life, money is just a digit, a tool to use... that's all... i go for passion! and live the life that i can best live!! Big Grin
1) Try NOT to LOSE money!
2) Do NOT SELL in BEAR, BUY-BUY-BUY! invest in managements/companies that does the same!
3) CASH in hand is KING in BEAR! 
4) In BULL, SELL-SELL-SELL! 
(13-12-2011, 04:48 PM)Musicwhiz Wrote: Haha no I don't play any instruments, just have a good head for songs, lyrics and artistes that's all. People usually call me "Jukebox". Tongue

How about opening a no frills KTV (like Teo Heng) or even a pub, where u can go on stage n sing? Big Grin

P.S. I dont know music but i like to sing...haha
Hey! I've got it!

We can offer ourselves as "budget" getai troupe for next year?

I can talk "male chicken" and tell stories - I be the emcee? (Oh please please! Cannot never mind. I can be the lighting man - shine touchlight I can also!)

dzwm87 be the drummer.

Musicwhiz be our music director (arrange the lyrics, music scores, take care of the synthesizer, handle the diva tantrums... cover mountain; cover sea - hee hee!)

weijian be our singer. Sing for us. Sing!

We just need to find: a keyboard player, a lead guitarist, a bass guitarist and we have a band!

And more passionate bathroom singers!

Any volunteers?
Just google singapore man of leisure