AusNet Services (formerly: SP Ausnet)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I wish to clarify whether do individual investors in Singapore pay tax for the A$0.08 dividends received per share ? Thanks !
Disclaimer: Please feel free to correct any error in my post. I am not liable for anything. Do your own research and analysis. I do NOT give buy or sell calls and stock tips. Buy and sell at your risk. I am not a qualified financial adviser so I do not give any advice. The postings reflects my own personal thoughts which may or may not be accurate.
(19-09-2011, 01:15 AM)Nick Wrote: I wish to clarify whether do individual investors in Singapore pay tax for the A$0.08 dividends received per share ? Thanks !

You don't get the full A$0.08. There are 3 components (not a fixed proportion) in the payout. For eg., for HY Mar11 of A$0.04,

1) Franked = 1.333ct
2) Interest = 2.279ct
3) Capital Returns = 0.388ct

(2) is subjected to a 10% tax (deducted by SPAus) and the Nett Dividend you'd get was A$0.03772. The exchange rate is fixed when it's closer to the payout date (if you elected for DRP, you'll get units instead but I remembered the discount wasn't that great).

For me, no additional taxes from IRAS.
Luck & Fortune Favours those who are Prepared & Decisive when Opportunity Knocks
------------ 知己知彼 ,百战不殆 ;不知彼 ,不知己 ,每战必殆 ------------
Thanks for the explanation !

Does that mean the dividend will be taxed prior to being deposited to the bank account or do we have to pay the 10% at the end of the year separately during income tax filing ? Is there tax in the DRP plan ?
Disclaimer: Please feel free to correct any error in my post. I am not liable for anything. Do your own research and analysis. I do NOT give buy or sell calls and stock tips. Buy and sell at your risk. I am not a qualified financial adviser so I do not give any advice. The postings reflects my own personal thoughts which may or may not be accurate.
(19-09-2011, 11:30 AM)Nick Wrote: Does that mean the dividend will be taxed prior to being deposited to the bank account or do we have to pay the 10% at the end of the year separately during income tax filing ? Is there tax in the DRP plan ?

Yes, SPAus dividend is taxed prior to its being deposited into your bank account for the 10% (of Interest Income component). No need to declare in the income tax filing.

As for DRP, I have not participated before for SPAus. I went to check and the discount is only 2.5% and I usually have the intention to sell most of my SPAus shares before it goes xd as I can usually buy it back a lot cheaper before the next HY dividend period. For those that I retain as a beachhead (or get stuck with), I've not been taxed by IRAS for the dividends received.

BUT, if my interpretation of IRAS link is correct, we (as Individuals) are exempt from tax for dividends (whether paid in cash or in kind eg. DRP). See,

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page03_ektid5984.aspx

Luck & Fortune Favours those who are Prepared & Decisive when Opportunity Knocks
SPAUS dividend is tax free for locals. i have collected for many years. Sold the shares, all this years.
WB:-

1) Rule # 1, do not lose money.
2) Rule # 2, refer to # 1.
3) Not until you can manage your emotions, you can manage your money.

Truism of Investments.
A) Buying a security is buying RISK not Return
B) You can control RISK (to a certain level, hopefully only.) But definitely not the outcome of the Return.

NB:-
My signature is meant for psychoing myself. No offence to anyone. i am trying not to lose money unnecessary anymore.
(19-09-2011, 02:32 PM)Temperament Wrote: SPAUS dividend is tax free for locals. i have collected for many years. Sold the shares, all this years.

Likewise sold this year. Not too comfortable with its high gearing.
i would buy it.which power utility in the world is not geared.
Dividend Investing and More @ InvestmentMoats.com
(20-09-2011, 09:47 PM)Drizzt Wrote: i would buy it.which power utility in the world is not geared.

Hi Drizzt,
Gearing is one thing, this stock can give some good dividend but not very much in terms of growth. It's good to have good dividend and at least some growth at the same time. It's very difficult to find both dividend & growth at the same time in the same stock. If buying this stock, i think i would prefer buying Singtel.
It has had right issue in the past. At least once.

WB:-

1) Rule # 1, do not lose money.
2) Rule # 2, refer to # 1.
3) Not until you can manage your emotions, you can manage your money.

Truism of Investments.
A) Buying a security is buying RISK not Return
B) You can control RISK (to a certain level, hopefully only.) But definitely not the outcome of the Return.

NB:-
My signature is meant for psychoing myself. No offence to anyone. i am trying not to lose money unnecessary anymore.
singtel may eventually end up like sp ausnet, a utility.telcos are being commoitized.

Dividend Investing and More @ InvestmentMoats.com
(20-09-2011, 10:43 PM)Temperament Wrote:
(20-09-2011, 09:47 PM)Drizzt Wrote: i would buy it.which power utility in the world is not geared.

Hi Drizzt,
Gearing is one thing, this stock can give some good dividend but not very much in terms of growth. It's good to have good dividend and at least some growth at the same time. It's very difficult to find both dividend & growth at the same time in the same stock. If buying this stock, i think i would prefer buying Singtel.
It has had right issue in the past. At least once.

On 1st look, it does look like Singtel matches your criteria of both growth and yield. Looking at the financials from FY06, we see a continued growth in Revenue and Dividends (excluding Special Div).

BUT, on closer examination, I don't see the same growth in EPS as it hovers around the same level for the past few years and the NPM (Net Profit Margin) appears to be on the decline. The main reason for the increasing Dividend Payout appears to be mainly due to an increase in Payout Ratio.