S'pore investor confidence at one-year high

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the article, it says "Gold and cash remain the two most favoured asset classes in the second quarter of this year." Does this mean that we'll see equity markets start to move up from here?

Also interesting to note...

' Wrote:Some 33 per cent of respondents said the last quarter was the best time to invest in gold as gold prices continued to rise since the second quarter of last year.

FPI's general manager of South East Asia, Mr Chris Gill, said: "I think the main reason behind that would be that investors are looking for stored value that will give them a real return over the long term."

Will this be Gold's final leg up? It's hyper-parabolic moment? Either way, it'll be interesting to see how things turn out in a year or two.

S'pore investor confidence at one-year high
By Amanda Feng | Posted: 18 July 2011 1609 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singapore investor confidence has climbed to its highest peak since June last year, according to financial firm Friends Provident International (FPI).

It said in its July Investor Attitudes report that investor confidence, as measured by the Friends Investor Attitudes Index, rose to 21 points from 16 points a year ago.

More than 60 per cent of local investors surveyed believe that the Singapore investment market has improved in the last six months.

Meanwhile, 57 per cent believe that the markets will continue to improve over the next six months.

Gold and cash remain the two most favoured asset classes in the second quarter of this year.

Some 33 per cent of respondents said the last quarter was the best time to invest in gold as gold prices continued to rise since the second quarter of last year.

FPI's general manager of South East Asia, Mr Chris Gill, said: "I think the main reason behind that would be that investors are looking for stored value that will give them a real return over the long term."

"Even just last week, gold prices have reached another high, so we expect that trend to continue as far as investing in gold (is concerned)," added Mr Gill.

The survey was carried out between April 25 and May 5 and it covered some 1,001 investors in Singapore.

Similar surveys were also conducted in Hong Kong and the United Arab Emirates.

The results of the survey were used to develop the Friends Investor Attitudes Index in each market.

- CNA/al
anymore of these types of articles, STI goes up up and away! then it's time to sell and go fishing leh! Big Grin

1) Try NOT to LOSE money!
2) Do NOT SELL in BEAR, BUY-BUY-BUY! invest in managements/companies that does the same!
3) CASH in hand is KING in BEAR! 
4) In BULL, SELL-SELL-SELL! 
THG and Dr Jannie Tay were featured as a success story in the latest episode of Canon's Think Big programme....
http://www.canon.com.sg/thinkbig/the-hou...ay-part-1/
http://www.canon.com.sg/thinkbig/the-hou...e-reality/
I thought markets like to climb a walll of worry and slide down the slope of optimism?

If Singapore investor confidence at one year high... Hmm.

I am 25% into cash last Dec. This May I increased cash to 35%.

Gold and cash are investors 2 most favoured asset class? This can't be bullish!?

At least that's what on my mind when I took some money off the table. Or am I missing something?
Just google singapore man of leisure
hmm. this article can't be right. if investor confidence is high, the stock market should reflect so. from the last closing, STI is barely higher than when the year started, and looks to remain so till the end of the year.

there is still plenty of liquidity in the system being absorbed by the property, bond, and stock markets. the high valuations of these assets is more a function of excessive liquidity, than high investor confidence. investors are still mindful of the fiscal situation of the americans and europeans, and this manifests in the active buying of gold.

exercise caution. the market isn't going on a bull run anytime soon for the next year or so. but it may just pop with a random event.
(18-07-2011, 06:44 PM)Jared Seah Wrote: I thought markets like to climb a walll of worry and slide down the slope of optimism?

If Singapore investor confidence at one year high... Hmm.

I am 25% into cash last Dec. This May I increased cash to 35%.

Gold and cash are investors 2 most favoured asset class? This can't be bullish!?

At least that's what on my mind when I took some money off the table. Or am I missing something?

You not missing anything. I am confuse too.

Gold and Cash favoured means there is good amount of Negatives or Fear. Maybe they are pointing out that Q3 will be better since Q2 is favoured on both of them but then the highlight is misleading.

Cory

Just my Diary
corylogics.blogspot.com/

It could possibly make sense. People are overly-optimistic perhaps? Thus markets are headed for a fall?

Just conjecture though - since my main aim is not to predict market directions but to look for good companies to invest in! Tongue
My Value Investing Blog: http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com/
Yes, the main consideration of investing in the market is always will i sleep at night when the market suddenly visited by Black Swan? Will i still have bullets to kill the Black Swan? Will my purchased stocks able to float in low tide or grounded? If your answer is even one negative, it's time to pare down your holdings. And sell all the stocks that you think will be grounded in low tide.
Of course it's always easier to say than to do. If not, i am already very rich man by now. Ha! Ha!

Really,some of my stocks are grounded more than 20 years, since their IPOs. They are already museum exhibition pieces. Many a time i thought of getting rid of these eyesores but they serve a purpose for me. They reminded me how foolish i were, buying hot IPOs. of the day and not to repeat the same mistake. It looks like i enjoy this torture/reminder-sadist or masochist? Of course, deep down subconsciously, hoping some of these eyesores will be like chickens suddenly turn into phoenixes. For these chickens i willing to dream foolishly, because they can stop me whenever i am off my thinking/guard of doing some foolish purchase.
Actually i have one of the chickens turning into phoenix. i made some money out of it and is still holding 15 lots. It is still in the money and the dividend yield is quite good, consider all these years.
Anyone hold rojak shares longer than me? Let me hear your story.
Ha! Ha!
WB:-

1) Rule # 1, do not lose money.
2) Rule # 2, refer to # 1.
3) Not until you can manage your emotions, you can manage your money.

Truism of Investments.
A) Buying a security is buying RISK not Return
B) You can control RISK (to a certain level, hopefully only.) But definitely not the outcome of the Return.

NB:-
My signature is meant for psychoing myself. No offence to anyone. i am trying not to lose money unnecessary anymore.
My take is all about Probability not Prediction. When we do FA, TA, "Insider", forum, cbox, Tips, gold, broading our knowledge, averaging, is to skew the results to our favour with consistency. No one can predict accurately but one may be able to base on Probability with Risk Mitigation to Win.

Reality is the World is not in one-dimension which would have make solution easier.
How i plan to achieve it for the next few years are as follow

1. Avoid S-Chips
2. Gold/Silver, AUD, Preference Shares
3. FA(cutlost/invest) + TA(exact time to buy/sell) in Stocks
4. Learning Broad Market Sentiments
5. Look for High Growth AND Dividents
6. Watch out for Poor CEO performance

7. Always be open to new idea. Conflicting opinion allows more thorough understanding.
Learn and Change even when some of the advisors really sucks as a human being. Do not think that Experts are alway Nice People. Smile

Frankly i am not meeting all above yet and is my Goals. Maybe i should frame it up on my wall to remind me everyday.

I cutlost when i realise a mistake is made. Is never too late. In the past i take too long to do it and need to cut deeper.
If we hold a dead stock for 20 years, not only you lose your capital but also opportunity cost. Is a double whammy with the later maybe even more painful if we think about compounding effects.

Cory

Just my Diary
corylogics.blogspot.com/

(21-07-2011, 10:26 AM)corydorus Wrote: My take is all about Probability not Prediction. When we do FA, TA, "Insider", forum, cbox, Tips, gold, broading our knowledge, averaging, is to skew the results to our favour with consistency. No one can predict accurately but one may be able to base on Probability with Risk Mitigation to Win.

Reality is the World is not in one-dimension which would have make solution easier.
How i plan to achieve it for the next few years are as follow

1. Avoid S-Chips
2. Gold/Silver, AUD, Preference Shares
3. FA(cutlost/invest) + TA(exact time to buy/sell) in Stocks
4. Learning Broad Market Sentiments
5. Look for High Growth AND Dividents
6. Watch out for Poor CEO performance

7. Always be open to new idea. Conflicting opinion allows more thorough understanding.
Learn and Change even when some of the advisors really sucks as a human being. Do not think that Experts are alway Nice People. Smile

Frankly i am not meeting all above yet and is my Goals. Maybe i should frame it up on my wall to remind me everyday.

I cutlost when i realise a mistake is made. Is never too late. In the past i take too long to do it and need to cut deeper.
If we hold a dead stock for 20 years, not only you lose your capital but also opportunity cost. Is a double whammy with the later maybe even more painful if we think about compounding effects.

Cory

Yeah... I am still learning to cut loss ...

Painful learning process...

SadSadSadSadSad