Wine investors see red

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wine Investment Firm in trouble?

TODAY
Wine investors see red
by Cheow Xin Yi 04:46 AM Jun 17, 2011

SINGAPORE - A week after news of a police probe into an alleged investment scam involving Premium Liquid Assets' (PLA) Hong Kong office hit the headlines in the territory, Singapore investors of the locally-incorporated wine investment company are also searching for answers about their investments.

According to an automated reply sent to investors who emailed the company, the Singapore branch of PLA is "currently in the midst of handling a legal issue pertaining to our business partner in Hong Kong".

The email added its Hong Kong office chief executive and director is "suspected of fraud", and the firm's Singapore and Malaysia branches have reported the matter to "relevant authorities and are cooperating with the police and related departments" to resolve the issue.

"With sincere apologies, we are unable to officiate any liquidation or new investment at the moment ... We seek your kind understanding if your liquidation payment has been delayed," said the email.

The email did not name the director in question, who is reportedly missing as Hong Kong authorities investigate a case which could involve more than 400 investors and alleged losses of HK$50 million. The wine investment circles here refer to the man as "Christopher Koo".

When contacted, a Singapore police spokesman said: "It is inappropriate to comment on police investigations, if any."

Investors MediaCorp spoke to have expressed frustration at the uncertainty. One of them, who only wanted to be identified as Francois, said his only point of contact is his PLA broker, who told him to "wait" pending internal and external investigations. The French national said he has invested about S$29,000 in wine portfolios through PLA since 2009.

Although the lights were switched on when MediaCorp visited PLA's Ngee Ann City office on Monday, no one answered the door when this reporter rang the doorbell.

Some investors have turned to legal experts for help. Lawyer Sean La'Brooy, from Wee, Tay & Lim LLP, was approached by about 20 PLA investors on Monday and he is now "exploring legal options" with them. Other investors have held preliminary talks with provisional liquidators and asset recovery firms.

It is believed there are between 100 and 400 PLA investors in Singapore, with investment amounts ranging from between S$7,000 and S$160,000.

The Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE) has received one complaint since March regarding PLA, but the consumer body's executive director Seah Seng Choon said the consumer body does not oversee investment-related matters. Wine investments are also not regulated by the Monetary Authority of Singapore, noted Mr Seah.

A check with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) showed PLA as a S$300,000 paid-up limited exempt private company which was incorporated in 2005.

The records list a Mr Woo Kuan Yong as a director. When MediaCorp visited his flat on Wednesday, Mr Woo told MediaCorp that he was asked by his step-son, Mr Eldric Ko, to "register the company" but he has never been to the firm's office.

Mr Woo's wife said she last spoke to Mr Ko, who had called from Bangkok in April. She added that subsequent attempts to contact him on his Singapore mobile phone have been unsuccessful thus far.

My Value Investing Blog: http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com/
I started out in wine investing some years ago luckily my investment were kept very small just a holding of 20 bottles of shiraz still locked away somewhere at a bonded warehouse.

these days I've started to "venture" (read tasting ventures keke Big Grin) into the world of whisky collecting. And very recently also learning about cognac or vintage armagnac. Tongue
Another version of biological assets Big Grin
I came across your article, what can one do or go to if they suspect might be involved in a fraudulent scam like this BUT first want to recoup money before the police takes over the case whereby retrieving invested funds wont happen.

thanks,
Shiva
bring home the wine bottles 1st before calling the cops? Big Grin
1) Try NOT to LOSE money!
2) Do NOT SELL in BEAR, BUY-BUY-BUY! invest in managements/companies that does the same!
3) CASH in hand is KING in BEAR! 
4) In BULL, SELL-SELL-SELL! 
what happens if the doc's have been forged and there might be no wines?
Wallstraits Sage diverted to wine investment, last year saw him on TV talk abt wine investment.

seems like luck is not on his side....few yrs ago did follow him to invest in few stocks but all got burnt, FSL & the 3 foods,,,,hehe
it is quite sad there are so many con artist out there, nothing anyone and/or authorities can really do eh...
I think wine is a little like ostrich fad when it first started over 10 years ago. I remember reading a brochure that said there were so many benefits to invest in ostrich, like ostrich meat was much leaner than beef therefore healthier, the skin is leather could be made into bags and shoes, feathers made into accessories use by lap dancers in europe, even the eyes & corneas was said to be in demand from research community.

For a while I too was caught up in the hype but that's what it is just a hype. was it a fradulent scam? Yes it is a scam but is not fraud. The scam is telling people something 1 cm can grow into 1 meter and make a lot of money is the scam.

Same with wine, the stocks are in the bonded warehouse, after the ostrich fad I was very skeptical about wine, I kept asking myself where are the buyers for the supposed "liquid gold" I kept looking for a market place where bottles of wine are traded like stocks, many people sunk serious money into it I guess I also got the bug and also got suckered and sunk about 2k+ into it. Maybe I'll bring them all home and give away slowly this christmas. Big Grin
shiva Wrote:I came across your article, what can one do or go to if they suspect might be involved in a fraudulent scam like this BUT first want to recoup money before the police takes over the case whereby retrieving invested funds wont happen.
what happens if the doc's have been forged and there might be no wines?
it is quite sad there are so many con artist out there, nothing anyone and/or authorities can really do eh...

Short of breaking arms and legs, you are not likely to get your money nor your wine back from a scammer. So unless you are into enforcing this type of karma (which carries its own legal hazards), your only recourse is to report the promoter to the police for cheating and let them deal with it. Consider your losses "tuition fees" to learn the importance of doing due diligence.